Monday, February 21, 2011

Acanthoscurria geniculata

I couldn't wait more than a month to get my little A. geniculata. I think it may end up being one of my favorites. "She" (I'm hoping) kicks just a little, but typically just crouches down when she's disturbed. I've given her a little hide in her container, but I've only seen her use it once or twice.

These T's grow to about 8" in legspan and are very striking with a velvet black body, red hairs on their abdomen and bold white markings on their legs. They have insatiable appetites. They are nervous/skittish, so not great for handling, but are more defensive than aggresive.

Here's my little one the day after a molt (2/20/11):

She may be small now, but A. geniculata grows quickly, and she'll be a big impressive spider in no time.

~ B. Percha

No comments:

Post a Comment